Interview with Muslim Artist Almir Cek Sujkovic

Interview with Islamic Artist Almir Cek Sujkovic

 




Q: When you were young and growing up in Central Europe was it difficult to learn
about religion, and Islam in particular?



Almir Cek Sujkovic:
 
     "Whilst growing up in Slovenia, it was almost impossible to learn about Islam, as Slovenia was then part of Yugoslavia."






     "One of the obstacles to learning about our faith was that the vast majority of people in Slovenia weren't Muslims, so there was a lack of Muslim role models. The Muslim population is only found in the major cities, as they had migrated from the Southern republics of the former Yugoslavia. My parents for example, had migrated from the Republic of Montenegro; which is now an independent country itself. Some of them still see us as Turks trying to invade their country! I remember the History classes from Elementary to High Schools, stereotyping the Muslims. Their view about us was that we are stuck in the 1600’s. It always amazed me how they got this idea, as they lived side by side with us for so many decades and together as well, yet little did they knew about Islam and our traditions.  Not even giving themselves a chance to get to know us. I think it’s a shame."

      "Another thing was the Communist regime that took over Yugoslavia, after the WW2 until its collapse in the 1990’s. Now that regime that did not allow religion. I remember my Mom telling me that even though she was a great student, if her teacher saw or heard that she went to Sunday School, they would automatically fail her. From my Uncle, I heard sad stories, how they had carried out religious duties such as male circumcisions secretly."

      "Enough about history. Now about how my path on Islam started!"

        "I was around three or four years of age, when I was sent to live with my grandparents (my Mom’s parents). My sister had Meningitis shortly after she was born, so my Mom and my sister spent a lot of time in different hospitals. Going from one doctor to another, just trying to first figure out what was wrong. As my sister was still a baby it made it even more difficult. She is doing great now has her own family. I’m very proud of her. She is my role model. So, at that age, it was my grandpa, who grabbed my hand and took me to the neighbourhood Mosque for the first time. So we went in, there were maybe about ten people there, mostly older people. All faces new to me."
 
 
 
 
Almir's Grandfather
 
 
"I was the only child in there and as any kid for the first time, I just stood next to my grandfather and did what they did. They went up, I went up. They went down, I went down! I heard them reciting something, very quietly, so I did the same, except I was just making up words, since I didn’t know what I was supposed to recite. Now, what happened after the prayer was when I fell in love with Islam. We all got together and since I was the only child, they were all buying me ice-cream. It’s funny, but I really felt that that was the moment. And maybe at that age it was about the ice-cream, but looking back at it now, I’m thinking, maybe it was the kindness of all those strangers that showed me the love, for which the cause was Islam."

 
 
 
Almir's sister Alma

          "Thankfully, my sister's visits to the doctors slowed down, and my Mom came to pick me up. Back to Slovenia.  After getting there, it took a while to adjust. Different people, different language, but I did see a something familiar. Whenever, we were on the way to someone’s house, I would see Mosques everywhere. And I would be yelling, there’s a Mosque, there’s another one... But there was something strange about all this. Not once did we stop to visit any one of them. The reason was that all of those were not what I thought they were. Those were all Churches. My aunt was joking at the time, how I came to Slovenia and Islamized it in a short time of being there. The fact is, that to this day, there is not one Mosque in the whole country of Slovenia. Can you imagine that?! They actually did finally approve the construction and the location for the first one. Alhamdulillah. My only touch with Islam after that was when visiting my grandparents during the annual holidays."

 
        "When I was 16 years old Yugoslavia collapsed and with it started the war in Slovenia that continued to Croatia and led to Bosnia and Herzegovina. At the time, the only thing I knew about Islam was reciting the Bismillah – and that I was not allowed to eat pork nor to drink alcohol."

 


Bosnian Refugees, many of whom sought refuge in Slovenia

        "With the war came refugees and with them came the first Islamic literature. I remember the excitement for my sister and I. The excitement was felt without saying any words. Finally, we were going to be able to learn about us, about who we are, about what are we about... Our journey on the path of Islam finally began. Harf by harf, Ayah by Ayah, Surah by Surah... With hearts widely open. LOVE!."


 
Bosnian Pilgrim on route to Mecca
 


         "It felt as, now we could finally thank Dear Allah, we could finally ask The Most Merciful for forgiveness, we could finally show LOVE without anyone stopping us. It was such a beautiful feeling."

         "The thing was, it wasn’t just us. There were many other children just like us. We all started from the beginning. Hungry for the knowledge. Instant love and that love only grew as the time went on."






Comments